Matamata-Piako District Council engaged Xyst to define level of service statements and guidelines at a high level for provision and development of street gardens and street furniture, and more detailed LoS for maintenance. The priority for this project was the public street or road adjacent to the business zones of the Matamata-Piako District, and entrance landscaping on State Highway 24, 26 and 27 at town entrances.
The project included:
• Levels of service for provision and development to be defined at a high level.
• LoS for maintenance to be more detailed to inform service delivery standards.
• Street gardens and street furniture (including seating, bins, drinking fountains, bollards, cycle racks, pedestrian barriers, artworks, monuments, banners, tree furniture, decorative lighting, “welcome” signage, etc).
• Street trees, medians and berms in defined priority areas.
• A hierarchy that defines up to 3 different quality standards and applies these to defined zones.
The project excluded paving, street lighting, road signs or landscaping of reserve or private land adjacent to streetscape. Mapping was not required of specific assets, however, a series of maps identifying zones for high standard, medium standard, low standard (or similar) were developed.
Recreation Aotearoa Open Space Maintenance Specifications were used as the basis for operational standards where these were referenced.